Saturday, October 20, 2012

Snap Shots of Late Summer into Early Fall...

I realized it's been WEEKS since I found the time to blog. And I'm still running short on minutes in my days (between finishing up with an amazing harvest and working hard to help my most recent batch of nursing students reach their goals). So I decided to post a few photos for now- and will save my stories for those cold winter days, where a cup of tea and a dancing fire invite tales to be shared with loved ones.  
Sweet juicy plums ready to can. 
Green Chili Entwined
 
In honor of Grace. Since Grace moved from her little house many years ago, I have nurtured these morning glories that she planted in her garden and so loved. They are beautiful and their shining hearts remind me of this woman so precious in my life.
 
Basil ready for another batch of pesto. Yumm! 
My favorite late summer lunch!
 
Moriah's birthday (31) marks the official end of summer. It was wonderful to share it with her and her boys. I made an apple pie which we ate around a campfire. So sweet. Canyon helped to tend the flames and Trek sat contentedly with Aiko in his lap. 
 
Bounty from the pumpkin patch.  
It's been an apple bonanza! Plenty to eat and share and store. Such a wonderful variety of tastes and colors. Watch for an apple story to be published in the coming weeks.
 
I harvested buckets of pears and refrigerated them for a couple of weeks.
 
I then took a bunch out of the fridge to ripen for a few days. I washed them all.
 
Then cut them into small pieces to steam in the 40 quart stainless steel pot.
 
And finally processed them into 14 quarts of pear juice, 18 pints of pear sauce and 18 small jars of pear butter! A-pear-antly, I'm set.
 
Yesterday was Grandparents Day in Canyon's kindergarten class. I was honored to attend and spent the morning having fun during a variety of teaching/learning/sharing activities. I'm so proud of my little school boy. 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I love all your photos! The morning glory picture is such a sweet reminder. Been thinking a lot about Nana lately... And I have sure enjoyed being on the receiving end of your harvest and canning!

    ReplyDelete