Sunday, September 9, 2012

Summer's End at Mandala Gardens

By mid August, I am all too aware that summer is on its' way out. Three things dominated my life toward the end of last month and still remain the foci of my days. I am a good kind of tired when I lay my head on my pillow each night.

I begin a new school year every August...and I still so enjoy teaching and learning with the nurses of tomorrow. It's exciting to meet another cohort of 30. 'Not so exciting to realize my table will look like this most of the time for nine months. I do stash the piles away when I'm having visitors, though. 
 
And of course harvest is in full swing come late summer! My freezers are full and I'm needing to build a pantry closet for the canned goods! If they say "Put up or shut up" I guess I get to keep talking for now. I love sharing this bounty with my kids and having Christmas gifts ready to go.
 
I was determined to make significant headway on goat head eradication this year. I really let them get out of hand 5-6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. Maybe eradication is an impossible word when it comes to these wily weeds, but I want  to be able to walk barefoot again, and to watch my dogs run around without getting stickers in their paws. Over the past month I've spent hours and hours patrolling for goat heads. I do believe I've nabbed a 100,000 of them! And it's paying off! I have to look harder to find them each day. Maybe next year it won't be so bad.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment