Monday, June 17, 2013

Full Circle on the Blog...Garlic Harvest 2013

Stage one of the harvest... Dig up the garlic, trim the roots, clean the bulbs, and let them air dry.
 
Stage two... Lay the garlic in a shaded place (the Grace-house this year) until they are ready to braid.
 
 
Stage three... Braid the garlic.
 
I love this part. The braids are so beautiful and smell delicious.
 
I put these into a bundle for Skye; she'll cut them into individual bulbs once they have cured.
 

 
The "seed braid" for next year.
 
Stage four... Hang the braids to finish curing and enjoy all year long!
 
Finally, separate the cloves from any bulbs left over from last year. As soon as they are completely dry, I'll rub the peels off and grind the garlic into powder for those "lazy days" or special recipes that don't call for fresh garlic.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment